Saturday, November 14, 2009

Sliding Doors

"Sliding Doors" directed by Peter Howitt and released on June 1998. The film follows the life of Helen Quilley (Gwyneth Paltrow), who is arriving at work one morning and discovers that she had been unjustifiably sacked from her PR job.

The film's plot splits into two parallel universes which run in tandem. In one universe, Helen catches the tube train, meets James and arrives home to find her loathsome Lothario lover Gerry cheating on her with his ex-girlfriend Lydia. In the other reality, Helen misses the tube train, gets mugged, goes to hospital and eventually arrives home to find Gerry alone in the shower. The two realities move forward in tandem; in one Helen leaves Gerry and forms a happy, new, loving relationship with James; in the other Helen's live becomes more and more wretched as she takes on two jobs to support her worthless, cheating boyfriend as he supposedly writes his novel but in fact carries on a torrid affair with Lydia.

"Sliding Doors" is one of the best films that Gwyneth Paltrow has done. Humour, anger, sadness, love, compassion and a lot of lying in this film and the most special of this film is for the way the two storylines overlap, making a very original movie. It uses the concept of time by showing what a significant difference a few seconds can make in one's life.

Though life is like a sliding door, it closes one end but opens the other but the result is much alike as everything in our path and destiny is preordained in the book of providence.

"Expect nothing, live frugally on surprise. And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh."

TURN BACK TIME - Aqua

Give me time to reason
Give me time to think it through
Passing through the season
Where I cheated you

I will always have a cross to wear
But the bolt reminds me I was there
So give me strength
To face this test tonight

If only I could turn back time
If only I had said what I still hide
If only I could turn back time
I would stay for the night.
For the night...

Claim your right to science
Claim your right to see the truth
Though my pangs of conscience
Will drill a hole in you

I seen it coming like a thief in the night
I seen it coming from the flash of your light
So give me strength
To face this test tonight

If only I could turn back time
If only I had said what I still hide
If only I could turn back time...
I would stay for the night

The bolt reminds me I was there the bolt reminds me I was there
If only I could turn back time
If only I had said what I still hide
If only I could turn back time
I would stay for the night

Here's the links:
Movie Trailer


No comments:

Post a Comment